Vegetarian Sheet Nachos
Updated: Mar 13
I am ALL about nachos, I am ALL about tacos, I AM ALL ABOUT MEXICAN FOOD :) I seriously could do any version of Mexican Food all day every day, so to put into perspective-- I have eaten this vegetarian mixture as a quesadilla & twice as nachos this week... hahaha so I am loving it & cannot wait to share this with you all. This is a veggie mixture that provides heat, tanginess & a hint of sweetness/richness from sweet potatoes. Once you guys make the veggies, use it in tacos, quesadilla or nachos as below! Options are endless-- enjoy!
1 bag of large tortilla chips ( I love Garden of Eatin')
1 12oz bag of shredded Gouda
1 12 oz bag of shredded Mexican Cheese
1/2 jalapeño deseeded & chopped finely
2 cloves garlic minced
1 medium sweet potato diced into 1/4 inch cubes
5 Brussel sprouts shredded
8 cherry tomatoes diced
1 can of spicy black beans drained & rinsed
1/2 cup frozen corn
8 baby Bella mushroom-- sliced
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1. In a medium sized bowl, add in the diced sweet potato. Make sure you dice them into 1/4 inch cubes, you want them in small bites. Then drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil over the potatoes. Then sprinkle 1/4 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp cumin. Then toss until potatoes are coated. Then either bake them at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until browning OR put in your air fryer ( which is what I love to do) at the fry setting ( 400) toss every 5 minutes. Cook for 20 minutes.
2. While the sweet potatoes are cooking, you can start on rest of the veggie mixture. In a medium sized frying pan add 2 tbsp olive oil, 2 cloves minced garlic & the jalapeño deseeded & diced into small pieces on medium heat. Let it sauté for 2-3 minutes.
3. Then add in shredded Brussel sprouts ( throw into high power blender to shred or with knife) & sliced mushrooms. In a small bowl put the remaining of the cumin, onion powder, salt, chili powder, garlic powder & paprika, then whisk together. Then start sprinkling mixture on the mushrooms & Brussel sprouts. Cook down for 2-3 more minutes longer.
4. Then add in the sliced tomatoes, black beans drained & rinsed, corn & then sprinkle in the remaining seasonings. Cook down until they mixture starts to brown & caramelize about 5 more minutes. Add in more olive oil if need be. Then add in the sweet potatoes when done & cook for another 2 minutes.
5. KEY to executing the sheet nachos. Layer each chip out on the Silpat or baking sheet, so they are not overlapping, that way each chip is packed with all the yummy ingredients.
6. Sprinkle first layer of Gouda cheese
7. Layer on the delicious veggie mixture next
8. Then sprinkle the Mexican Cheese on top of the vegetarian mixture and then bake at 400 degrees for 6 minutes. Then turn on high broil for 2 minutes. Then DEVOUR
Thank you for looking at this scrumptious recipe!! Remember to follow me @honestfoodie_blog and #honestgrubhonestfoodie to let me know what you are making!