Updated: Feb 5, 2019
Oh it is that time of year again in my classroom... GIRL SCOUT COOKIE TIME :) Boy do I love them, but boy my body does not. I feel weighed down after eating them and also crash from all that sugar. So this year I decided to re create some of my favorite girl scout cookies with better for you ingredients. This cookies are simple and the PERFECT addition to your freezer this season and we all know we need a little joy after work during these brutal winter months!
Makes 12 cookies, with the ingredients below. 6 white chocolate thin mints & 6 classic thin mints. Feel free to make as many as you'd like!! I know I will be :) I personally love the Back to Nature cookies for this one, first ingredient is whole wheat flour.
1. 1 box of Back to Nature Classic Creme Cookies ( use 12 cookies for the amount below)
2. 1 1/2 cups of Enjoy Life semi sweet chocolate chips or 365 semi sweet chocolate chips
3. 1 1/2 cups of 365 white chocolate chips
4. (2) 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
5. 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Line a 9 X 11 pan with wax paper to be able to place the chocolate coated cookies onto, in order to place in freezer for an hour to cool
1. Take 12 of the Classic Creme Cookies and twist the two cookies away from each other carefully so they do not crack. Scrap the creme out of the middle and discard and then set aside the plain cookies, keeping the pair together
2. You are going to be tossing the 2 cookies that are now stacked on top of one another without the creme into the chocolate, to create that double stack that is normally in a thin mint :)
3. Get 2 microwave safe bowls, one that will fit over a stove pot filled half way with water and place it on a burner at high heat in order to melt the white chocolate and then 1 to melt the semi sweet chocolate chips. Place 1 1/2 cup white chocolate chips in one bowl and 1 1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips in the other. Place the white chocolate chip bowl over the stove pot filled with water that is now on high heat. Place the other bowl with the semi sweet chocolate in the microwave and heat for 30 seconds. Take it out and stir with a spatula and microwave for 15 more seconds, take out and stir again. Add in 1/4 tsp peppermint extract and 1/4 tsp vanilla extra and then microwave 10 more seconds. Then fold in a couple times, not too much because you want it to still be smooth
4. Now take a pair of tongs and begin to toss your double stack of cookies in the semi sweet chocolate, coating it on all sides then hitting the tongs on the side of the bowl to get an excess off. Place in the pan lined with wax paper, and continue for 6 of the stacked cookies
5. While you are tossing those, check on the white chocolate and continue to stir it until melted. You can turn down on medium low once it is melted and stir in 1/4 tsp peppermint extract. Once your semi sweet are tossed, you will do the same for the white chocolate and place in the tin with the waxed paper as well
6. As you see below and above I made a couple different variations before I placed in freezer:)
- Classic thin mint with the semi sweet chocolate
- White chocolate thin mint
- Classic thin mint with a small dab of white chocolate mix on top
- White chocolate thin mint with a small dab of semi sweet mix on top
7. Place in the freezer for 1 hour and ENJOY!
Please remember to tag me @honestfoodie_blog whenever you try any of these recipes and #honestgrubhonestfoodie ! I love to see what you all are creating!!