The Best Lentil Tacos
Have you tried these pantry tacos?? If not you need to put this on the tippy top of your list. Right now we are needing delicious pantry meals, especially when meat is a shortage at the stores. Chances are you have the goods to make this! Also we went grocery shopping a week ago & all these ingredients lasted this long. Majority of the ingredients are pantry items & freezer veggies-- you are going to be obsessed. Now this will tell you how much you need to make them. My dad is a carnivore. I was very nervous about making these tonight for my family, because my dad is a meat guy & the whole vegetarian, meatless meals he is never really a fan. So I held my breath as he took a bite.... well 4 tacos later :) He could not stop raving about them. That is a CLEAR winner in my book, for not only a vegetarian meal lover myself but ANYONE at your kitchen table! Ainsley also devoured them. She doesn't really like regular taco meat actually-- she's not the biggest meat fan, she devoured these. Also those mushroom iffy people out there, cannot even TELL these were mushrooms. Get ready guys, you are about to make a winner!
GF, DF, Vegetarian
1 cup dried lentils
10 baby Bella mushrooms
3 cloves garlic
2 packets Simply Organic mild taco seasoning
1 pint cherry tomatoes ( at least 10)
1 can of spicy black beans
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 yellow onion
1/4 cup red wine
1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper to taste
1/2 cup chopped cilantro ( optional )
12 hard taco shells ( Siete Food are our favorite )
sour cream, cheese, guacamole, black olives-- whatever your heart desires!
1. Add 1 cup of dried lentils to 4 cups warm water in stove pot. Then let simmer for 20 minutes with lid tilted on top. You want to keep it at 20 minutes, so the lentils are still a little tender, because they will cook more on stove. Once they are done simmering, run over them with cold water in a strainer & set aside.
2. In a high power food processor add in 10 baby Bella mushrooms & pulse until tiny to medium sized pieces as seen below ( may need to do it batches--5 then pour into a bowl & then 5 more then pour into bowl) Then set bowl a side
3. Then add in 1/2 of the yellow onion, cut into 1/4s into the same food processor & pulse until finely chopped seen below. Then transfer to a small bowl. Mince the 3 cloves garlic over the onion in a bowl then set aside.
4. in a large frying pan add in 2 tbsp olive oil, let heat for 2 minutes at medium heat. Then add in the bowl with the onions & garlic. Let is sauté for 2 to 3 more minutes. Then add in the chopped mushrooms. Toss with a spatula to incorporate the garlic & onions. Let it simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes. Then chop up 1 tbsp of butter on top of the mushrooms & continue to mix. Season with 1 tsp salt & couple grinds of pepper.
5. Once butter is melted & mixed throughout add in the 1/4 cup red wine, let is simmer until majority of the liquid is dissolved. It should start to get thicker. Then pour in 1 1/2 of the mild taco seasoning into a bowl, then add in as much water as it says to For the Simply Organic kind I add in 1/2 cup warm water, plus 1/4 cup warm water. Whisk until combined.
6. In the large frying pan add in the cook, drained & cooled lentils. Mix the lentils into the mushroom mixture. Then pour the taco seasoning marinate all over the mixture. Toss until combined. Let simmer for a minute. Then add in the sliced cherry tomatoes, 3/4 of the can of black beans. Then 1 cup of the frozen corn. Fold in until all is combined. Then you want to continue to let it simmer until the majority of the mild taco seasoning as dissolved. About 10 minutes on medium low. During that time, add in 1 more tsp of salt, couple more grinds of pepper, juice of 1 lime & 1/2 cup of cilantro, fold in & continue to let simmer for that time.
7. Then serve with the Siete Foods hard shells ( make sure you bake them for 2 minutes in the oven like it recommends! ) Then top with guac, cheese, sour cream, or whatever your heart desires! ENJOY guys !! This is exactly what to make to lighten up Easter, make it a fun TACO NIGHT!
Seriously, let me know when you guys make, cannot wait to see!
Thank you for looking at this scrumptious recipe!! Remember to follow me @honestfoodie_blog and #honestgrubhonestfoodie to let me know what you are making!