Perfect Cheddar Hash Brown Breakfast Pizza
Updated: May 7
Guys are you ready for this? No joke... I mean pizza is fun anyways, but for BREAKFAST? Yep. Start your morning this way, and this quarantine will feel SO much better ( WOOT WOOT)
I got to work with one of my all time favorite brands, Organic Valley on this one. If you guys have been following me for awhile or know my shopping habits.. Organic Valley is always in my cart. I have tried other Half & Half's... but no other one compares-- trust me, I am coffee guru ;)
Now it isn't just their amazing product that I love, it is what Organic Valley stands for. OV products are non GMO, have the highest animal standards--- that then also impact the environment for the better as well. Also their products are organic, hints the name too ;) However, what I love is we hear "organic" all the time, to where it is hard to really know what that means. I am linking this article to how OV describes the 5 reasons to eat organic. It puts it in simple, realistic & terms that make so much sense. I highly recommend checking it out!
Now, lets get to the YUMMY goods!! Below the recipe works for both tortillas as the base for the pizza OR directions on how to make your OWN pizza dough for these delicious things. It is the same dough I use for our regular pizza nights, it is SO easy, doesn't require all that rise time & makes the perfect thin crust. Trust me. Even if you use tortillas this time, make the dough for pizza night ASAP! I put both so that it was easy for you all to make this if you didn't have access to tortillas during this time & all the ingredients for your dough! ENJOY!
Organic Valley Breakfast Pizza
Dough if you do not have tortillas or want to make your own! This option is what I prefer, very fun to do with your family. We use this dough ALL the time, you will not want to go store bought again.
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried basil
½ tsp onion powder
2 tsp salt
1 tbsp ULTRA milk
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp active dry yeast
2 tsp coconut sugar or cane sugar
1 ½ cup warm water
1 tbsp medium coarse Corn Meal
Makes 4 10-12-inch round pizza crusts
Preheat oven at 425 degrees
1. In a medium sized bowl, add in active yeast & sugar, whisk together. Then add in the 1 ½ cup warm water, whisk together with a fork. Then let it sit for 3-5 minutes while it dissolves & gets foamy—bubbly at the top, you will see it get “thicker”
2. While you are waiting on the yeast mixture, in a large bowl add in your flower, garlic powder, basil, onion powder & salt. Whisk together until thoroughly combined
3. Now give the bowl with your yeast wet mixture one more whisk. Then add in the 1 tbsp of Organic Valley ULTRA milk & olive oil. Next add in the bowl with all the dry ingredients. Take a spatula & start folding in the wet with the dry. You will continue this until you get a shaggy dough
4. Next take a little more flour & flour your work surface. Turn the dough onto the work surface & knead the dough until it becomes a smooth, and a little bit tacky ball. You should be able to poke with your finger & it springs back. This should take about 6-8 minutes. I continue to add a little flour to it as I need until it becomes not as stick, and you can need without getting any on your hands. Form into a ball with your hands.
5. Then cover your dough upside down with the bowl you had mixed the dough in. While you clean up & get everything else ready for the pizza, you will keep it covered, about 12 minutes.
6. After, you will then take the bowl off, lightly flour the dough ball again. Slightly adjusting the ball with your hands. Then take a serrated knife & cut the dough into 4ths. Then ball up each forth, place into back into the bowl, taking one at a time to flatten.
7. Flour the working surface again & the rolling pin. Start rolling out the dough with the pin until it is about ¼ inch thick or less. Once rolled, pick up the round & rotate it around & around in a circle. It will really start to stretch out. Then place the round back down & roll again.
8. If using this dough recipe for traditional pizza you can then sprinkle corn meal on Silpat or parchment paper on baking sheet, then top with sauce & toppings wanted. Cook for 15-20 minutes in the oven. For breakfast pizza we are going to cook for 10 minutes then add on the rest of the ingredients ( see below for the rest of those instructions!)
Makes 6 Breakfast Pizzas
5 slices of bacon
6 small tortillas
2 6oz bag of Organic Valley’s Mild Cheddar Cheese Thick off the Block
1 large russet potato
2 tbsp olive oil
½ yellow onion
1 clove garlic
½ tbsp butter
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 cup ULTRA milk
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp onion powder
¼ tsp paprika
½ tsp salt
1 tsp Everything Bagel Seasoning
Avocado, green onions, sausage (any other toppings you’d want!)
1. In a large frying pan add in 1 tbsp olive oil. Heat at medium heat, let it heat for 2 minutes. Then add in the slices of bacon. Let them cook for 4-5 minutes on each side. Depends on how crispy you would like. Then transfer to a plate with paper towel to soak up excess grease.
2. While the bacon is cooking, shred the russet potato into a large bowl, use large setting on shredder—want them to be hash brown size. Take a towel, to squeeze out extra liquid & pour into a bowl. Next, sprinkle salt, paprika, onion powder & garlic powder. Take a fork & toss so that it evenly dispersed.
3. Once bacon is down, in same frying pan off the heat DO NOT drain the oil, add in ½ diced yellow onion & 1 clove garlic. Mix with spatula & let is simmer off heat for 1 minute, to calm down the pan. Then add back onto the stove at medium heat. Let it caramelize until majority of the oil is absorbed.
4. Then add in the hash browns. Cook down the hash browns for 5-8 minutes. You are wanting to break them apart to start getting crispy in the onion garlic & bacon mixture. Then add in the 1 tbsp flour & ½ tbsp butter. Creating a roux, for about 2 minutes. Then turn down heat to low. Add in the 1 cup Organic Valley Ultra milk, & 1 cup of the Organic Valley Mild Cheddar Cheese. Turn back up to medium heat & mix until it starts to thicken. About 5 minutes. Then transfer the mixture to a medium sized bowl
5. In same pan, now empty, add 1 more tbsp olive oil, turn on medium heat. Add in 5 eggs whisked, scramble for 2 minutes if you are going to use the pizza dough & scramble until they are almost all the way cooked, for the tortillas. While cooking season with the Everything But Bagel seasoning. Take pan off the heat.
6. Then you will start layering! For tortillas layer on baking sheet & place in oven for 2 minutes on each side. Then take out, spread hash brown “sauce” first, then eggs, then cheese. Bake in oven at 425 for 8 minutes or until the cheese is melted & tortilla is as crispy as you’d prefer! For pizza dough cook the dough as mentioned above for first 10 minutes. Then take out, let cool for 2 minutes. Then spread on the hash brown sauce, eggs, then cheese. Cook for the remaining 8 to 10 minutes. After take out pizzas, sprinkle with bacon, green onions, avocado or whatever your heart desires!
Thank you for looking at this scrumptious recipe!! Remember to follow me @honestfoodie_blog and #honestgrubhonestfoodie to let me know what you are making!