Tangy Orange Scones
Updated: Mar 13
I am not a huge sweets fan... I know I am so weird hahah, my family thinks I am adopted when I say that :) However, when it comes to sweets I am a huge carrot cake or citrus sweets etc. type of person. When I was little we use to get the Pillsbury Orange Rolls & they were my favorite, so these were created to be oh so similar except in scone form. They are DELICIOUS & so so easy. I use to be intimated to make scones, but not anymore. SO yum, these lasted 2 days lol. You can do it! Make these scones pronto!
1 cup Organic All Purpose Flour
1 cup Organic Whole Wheat Flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt (OMIT if you are using salted butter)
1 stick salted butter + 1 tbsp for brushing the tops
1/2 tsp cardamon
1/3 cup coconut sugar
2 tbsp zest of orange
3 navel oranges ( you will need 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp worth of juice)
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 lemon (you will need 1 tbsp of lemon juice)
2/3 cup Organic Powdered Sugar ( Wholesome brand is vegan)
2 tbsp of orange juice (add more juice if needing to thin, however you want it thick to be able to coat the top of the scones & not have it too runny)
1 tsp orange zest
Preheat oven to 400
1. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or use your Silpat. Then in food processor ( this is my favorite!) add whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, salt (if NOT using salted butter), coconut sugar and cardamon. Then take stick of butter & cut in half long down the middle, then cut into small pieces.
2. Then pulse mixture until mixture come together in pea sized crumbs.
3. Next with a citrus juicer, juice the oranges & 1/2 of the lemon. Then with 1/2 cup of the citrus juice on top of the pea sized dough & 2 tbsp orange zest + 1 tsp lemon zest. Then pulse, until mixture forms into dough & balls up together like seen below.
4. Then flour cutting board surface & roll dough out into a 10 inch diameter circle. Then pinch up the sides, to smooth out so it is a full circle as seen below. That will ensure the ends to bake evenly as well.
5. Then cut into 8 pieces as seen below
6. Place the 8 pieces on the baking sheet or Silpat & then melt 1 tbsp of butter in microwave safe bowl. Then use baking brush & brush the butter over each top
7. Then bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes. You can tell they are done when they start to brown at the bottom. 10 is perfect in our oven! Then let fully cool on cooling rack, while you make the icing.
8. In a medium mixing bowl add 2/3 cup Organic Powdered Sugar ( Wholesome brand is vegan) , 2 tbsp of orange juice (add more juice if needing to thin, however you want it thick to be able to coat the top of the scones & not have it too runny) & 1 tsp orange zest. Then whisk together with a fork. Once the scones have cooled, you will dip the tops of the scones into the icing & then let set on plate, repeat with each until all have icing on them. Then enjoy!! Keep in air tight container for 3-5 days on counter top!
Thank you for looking at this scrumptious recipe!! Remember to follow me @honestfoodie_blog and #honestgrubhonestfoodie to let me know what you are making!