Sweet Potato Carrot Buffalo Burger
I love to have a good veggie burger on hand. I love my black bean veggie burgers on the blog & I know so do you guys! That is why I wanted to come up with another yummy option for you guys. I know that sometimes a lot of beans can be hard on some people's systems & so I wanted to create one that had a base other than beans. Yes, these still have some beans in it, but the main base in sweet potatoes & carrots. What I really like about these is they are sweet, tangy & a little bit spicy. I feel like the flavors are so different, that they just work so well! One thing that makes these EASY during the week is prep the sweet potatoes ahead of time. I baked the sweet potatoes over the weekend & then just took the skin off, mashed them & then placed in a sealed container until 2 days later. That way all you have to do is throw all the ingredients below in a blow, mix them & divide the patties, cook & TA DA! Of course, you can always do it all the same day, but the sweet potatoes need to cool before you do the mixing, so it will just save you time in the long run! I then melt Monterey Jack cheese on mine, add tomatoes, avocados, lettuce... you name it! YUM! Enjoy guys!
4 cups of mashed sweet potato ( about 2 medium sweet potatoes)
2 carrots shredded on large setting
1 jalapeño deseeded & chopped finely
1/4 cup chopped shallots
1 large garlic clove minced
1 15 oz can of spicy black beans drained & rinsed
1/3 The New Primal Mild Buffalo hot sauce
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/2 cup Breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray each sweet potato with olive oil & place on a baking sheet. Bake for 40-60 minutes, until you are able to pierce the fork through it easily.
2. Once they are baked, take off sheet & let cool enough to then you can peel the skin off. Place into large bowl & with a fork mash sweet potato completely. Then let cool completely or place lid over the bowl & place in refrigerator until the next day or few days after that you are ready to make it :)
3. In the large bowl with the mashed sweet potato, take carrots that are peeled, & start shredding carrots on large setting on grater. Then add in de seeded & chopped jalpeno, diced shallots, black beans drained & rinsed, bread crumbs & salt. Mix with spatula until fully incorporated.
4. Then add in buffalo sauce, cumin & chili powder. Then with same spatula, mix until full incorporated again.
5. Refrigerate mixture for at least 30 minutes. Now you can just start putting them into patties right away, but I feel like it is best when they meld! I have cooked them both ways & still both scrumptious :)
6. Take large frying an out & spray with olive oil, turn on medium heat. Then place patties onto frying pan & cook on low to medium heat for 10 minutes on each side. Now please be cautious--sweet potatoes look "burnt" over brown sometimes when they start to crisp. Veggie burgers do not get REALLY crisp or hardened like burgers get. It will be a different consistency always with fresh veggie burgers. So I actually like to cook mine as long as possible on each side & crispy them a bit! So cook as long as you'd like, nothing raw in them, but I prefer at least 10 on each side!
7. Then a few minutes before the last side is done add on the cheese to let melt. Then place on a yummy brioche bun, top with avocado, lettuce, pickles.. list goes on & on!! ENJOY!
When you make this recipe please make sure you tag me @honestfoodie_blog and #honestgrubhonestfoodie I love to share what you create!!