Salmon Puff Pastries
Needing that last minute New Years or New Years Eve dinner? Then again, save this PRONTO for Valentines Day as well and/or make this to impress your dinner guests, loved ones OR just yourself :) It is oh so pretty, tasty & bursting with perfect flavor. Also prepped & ready to go in under 30 minutes & cooks to perfection in the puff pastries in 17 minutes. HELLO perfect. A couple things to keep in mind when making this recipe
1. Fresh basil & dill is KEY, as well as real lemon juice. The ones from the jar can have such a metallic taste.
2. Make sure you look at puff pasty ingredients. They tend to have a lot of enriched flours, additives etc.
3. Asparagus-- for this recipe you don't want the large thick asparagus, that way you can get more on one fillet.
4. Salmon Filets- MY TIP get the pre 6oz cut from the seafood department. Also have them DE SKIN them so that they are ready to go. You do not want to deal with the skin in the puff pastry :)
5. Get ready for a delicious, new favorite recipe :)
6 6oz Salmon Filets
2 13 oz puff pastry ( I do buy store bought, I look for the ones that have NO enriched flour, artificial flavors-- Schnucks has good brands & so does Whole Foods. Make sure you check ingredients)
1 block of cream cheese
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves
2 tbsp dill
1 clove garlic
1 tbsp milk
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp light olive oil
1 bunch of thin asparagus
paprika, chili powder, salt, pepper, onion powder
1. In food processor add cream cheese, 1 tbsp fresh dill, 1/4 cup fresh basil, juice of 1/2 of the lemon, 1 tbsp milk, 1/4 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp pepper. Process until full incorporated, then set aside.
2. Wash asparagus & cut the bottom woody pieces off each stalk (about 1 inch). Then steam for 5 minutes. You want them to be pierced through, but not done, they will continue to cook in the oven. Then place on plate & sprinkle with salt, pepper & onion powder. Then set aside
3. In a small bowl add in last 1 tbsp of fresh dill, 1 tbsp light olive oil & 1 tbsp regular olive oil, 2 juice of the 2nd 1/2 of the lemon. Then whisk that together. After, In a deep dish 9 X 13 pan add salmon filets with the de skinned side down. With the top facing up, sprinkle the tops of the salmon with paprika, salt, pepper, chili powder & onion powder.
3. Then take a basting brush & brush each filet top with the dill olive oil marinade.
4. Flip filets over so now the de skinned side is facing up. With a spatula, spread the cream cheese mixture on the bottom evenly on each filet. It helps to take your fingers & grip each side of the filet in order to be able to spread the cream cheese mixture on the best.
5. Next place the asparagus stalks to layer each salmon filet.
6. Pre heat oven to 425 degrees & start prepping your cutting board for the wrapping the filets in the puff pastry. On a large cutting board sprinkle flour and lay the 1st puff pastry dough out. Each dough sheet with wrap 3 salmons. Sprinkle a little more flour on top of the pastry dough, then take rolling pin & roll out to smooth out top. Then follow pictures below for perfect wrap!
7.Once each filet is wrapped, transfer to a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat. Use a slotted turner to transfer to sheet or silpat. Then take the egg & whisk in a small bowl. Take basting brush that was used before & brush egg wash on each of the wrapped salmons. Then bake at 425 degrees for 17 minutes. Until golden brown to perfection! Then serve with yummy steamed carrots, or whatever side you'd like! ENJOY!
When you make this recipe please make sure you tag me @honestfoodie_blog and #honestgrubhonestfoodie I love to share what you create!!