Rainbow Slaw Chicken Bowl
A recipe that combines 3 healthy delicious easy recipes. The marinade is a perfect recipe for any dinner where you need to spice up some chicken thighs or breast. Also the dressing is perfect to use for any salad. So if you would rather just do the chicken marinade, because you don't have the slaw ingredients on hand do it-- so yum! Or if you want to just create the dressing, do that too :) OR if you want to create the slaw with the dressing & hold off on the chicken----- do that too! hahah so you can see where I am going with this. This recipe is oh so adaptable & oh so perfect! This bowl gets me so excited for spring & especially right now with all of the craziness, it felt so good to eat this meal & bring some bright colors to our dinner table!
With the grocery store hard to get to right now, I would use whatever veggie combo you have on hand for the slaw below! I also made this recipe right after we made one of our every 2 week store runs right now--- so that is always a great option as well!
So pour yourself a glass of wine, prop open some windows, heat up the grill & get ready to cook up something scrumptious for dinner!
Dijon Chicken Marinade:
1 1/2 pounds chicken thigh-- boneless, skinless
1/4 cup dijon mustard
1/4 cup stone ground mustard
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp paprkia
1 1/2 lemons juiced
3 cloves garlic minced
3/4 cup fresh basil chopped
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1. In a large zip lock bag add chicken thighs. Then in a large bowl whisk together, dijon mustard, stoneground mustard, olive oil, garlic minced, paprika, salt & pepper. Once combined, pour over the chicken thighs in the bag. Then sprinkle the fresh chopped basil. Seal the bag, while getting the most air out possible. Shake & massage the marinade all over the chicken thighs. Then refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
2. Then set grill to medium high heat & grill for 6-8 minutes on each side, until meat thermometer reads 165 degrees F, or no pink & pulls apart beautifully!
Basil Greek Yogurt Dressing:
( I would recommend doubling if there are more than 2 people eating, that way you have more for left overs too-- so yum!!)
1/2 cup greek yogurt
1 1/2 tbsp of stone ground mustard
2 tbsp milk (add more if needing to thin)
1/2 lemon juiced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp of pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
2 tsp honey
1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
1. In a large jar or immersion blender attachment beaker add in the yogurt, stone ground mustard, milk, salt pepper, paprika, honey, basil & start with just 1 tbsp of the fresh lemon juice & adjust to taste. Then immersion blend until fully mixed, blended together. Then refrigerate while you get the slaw together.
1 1/2 cups riced cauliflower ( about 1/3 of a head of cauliflower)
1/2 head of purple cabbage
1 green zucchini
1 large orange carrot
4 oz goat cheese
1 yellow pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
season salt & pepper
1. In a large bowl add in riced cauliflower & cabbage shredded. Then use a mandolin to slice the zucchini in rounds. After take your peeler, and peel the large carrot in large strokes to create those long thin pieces of carrots, adds a fun crunch to the salad in that shape! Add the zucchini rounds & large slices of carrots into the bowl with the cauliflower & cabbage. Then slice yellow pepper thinly & the fresh cilantro, add into bowl as well. Crumble apart the goat cheese on top & then season with 1/2 tsp salt & few grinds of pepper. Toss so all ingredients are evenly disbursed.
Final Steps for Rainbow Chicken Slaw Bowl:
1. Toss the slaw with all of the Basil dressing if you did not double the recipe above. If you did double, I would do 2/3 of the dressing on the slaw. Toss & then refrigerate for up to an hour & while the chicken is being grilled. Slaw tastes so much better after it gets to meld with the dressing!
2. Then divide out the slaw at the bottom of your bowls & top with the delicious grilled chicken!
ENJOY! We had this on an old blanket out in the middle of the yard for a "picnic"! Anything to bring joy to these times :)
Thank you for looking at this scrumptious recipe!! Remember to follow me @honestfoodie_blog and #honestgrubhonestfoodie to let me know what you are making!