Orange Lemon Cake Muffins With Tangy Cream Cheese Glaze
When Ainsley woke up from her nap I had this sitting at her place. She took one bite & goes "OH MY... What is this called??" Hahah I completely lost it. So if that is not a raving review, not sure what is. I mean when a 2.5 year old loves it so much, she wants to make sure she calls it by its proper name.. you for sure have a winner :)
The cake to these are hands down scrumptious. It is GF & refined sugar free, so whoever told you those guidelines can't ever make something your favorite.... they LIED ;) Enjoy these bits of heaven & make them RIGHT away.
1/2 cup pecans
1/2 cup cashews
1 cup almond flour
2 tbsp coconut flour
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cardamon
2 tbsp coconut sugar
4 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 cup greek yogurt
2 lemon for : 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp lemon zest
1 large orange for: 2 tbsp fresh orange juice, 1 tbsp orange zest
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
Cream Cheese Glaze:
1/2 cup cream cheese
3 tsp maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon juice
Pre heat oven to 350 degrees & line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners
1. In a food processor add 1/2 cup pecans, 1/2 cup cashews. Pulse until fully fine, then add in 2 dates pitted, broken into 4 pieces. Then pulse again until throughly combined & when you press the mixture down it sticks together.
2. In medium sized bowl pour the food processor mixture in it. Then add almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, salt, cardamon, coconut sugar, lemon zest, orange zest & oats. Then whisk until throughly combined. The food processor mixture will leave crumbs in the dry mixture. I take my hands & break apart as much as I can, but once you put it in the blender it will all be thoroughly combined.
3. In a medium microwave safe bowl add coconut oil & melt in microwave in 30 seconds increments. Then add in greek yogurt, maple syrup, vanilla extract, almond extract, orange juice & lemon juice. Whisk until throughly combined.
4. In a high power blender, pour in all the dry ingredients & then pour the wet ingredients on top. Blend on low for 1 minute, then rev up to medium high for another 1-1 1/2 minute. Then pour batter evenly into the 12 cup muffin tins. Then at 350 degrees, cook for 12-15 minutes. Check with tooth pick at 12 minutes, however, I have found it needing 3 more minutes. Every oven is different though, so start with 12.
5. In a hand mixer safe bowl add the glaze ingredients: cream cheese, maple syrup, lemon juice & vanilla extract. Then mix with hand blender until full combined. Then when muffins are done, wait until they are FULLY cooled, then glaze each muffin. Then I sprinkle extra zest on top of each :)
Thank you for looking at this scrumptious recipe!! Remember to follow me @honestfoodie_blog and #honestgrubhonestfoodie to let me know what you are making! ENJOY!!
Check out links below to my favorite items used for the recipe!
Food Processor: https://amzn.to/31xWmRy
High Power Blender: https://amzn.to/32zCKOi
Hand mixer: https://amzn.to/2VZzTM9
12 cup muffin tin: https://amzn.to/2oYeqHu
Muffin liners: https://amzn.to/2MXwFVl