Cabbage Roll Soup
Updated: 3 days ago
I LOVE cabbage rolls. My mom use to make them all the time growing up. So when all of this sad, crazy, I don't even know how to describe it... situation has been going on all around the globe, I really needed some comfort. Food has always been that way for us. Breaking bread over a home cooked meal, being thankful for what is around us & enjoying each others company. That is why I wanted to bring you all this recipe. It has been hard to figure out how to communicate with you all & just be, with feeling not sensitive enough, or overwhelming everyone with worry. Truly, I am the one who wants my social media or news outlets to be filled with what is going on, however a balance. I want things to go about as normal too, because it is so hard to calm my mind. I know that we can overcome this, we just need to be realistic. We need to not think that we are above sickness, take care of ourselves & take care of our communities!
My hope is when you make this it will 100 percent bring comfort in these times, because I can guarantee it will!
1 pound chicken bratwurst sausage out of the casing
1/2 of large green cabbage
1/2 cup uncooked white rice
2 tsp coconut sugar
1 large carrot
1/2 red pepper
1/2 orange pepper
1/2 yellow onion
3 cloves garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp parsley
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 15oz can of tomato sauce
1 14.5 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes
1 48 oz container of low sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup of fresh chopped parsley
2 tbsp white wine vinegar ( optional but highly recommend, it adds a more tangy flavor that pairs so well with the rest of the flavors!)
1. In a large 8qt dutch oven add in 2 tbsp olive oil. Then chop the 1/2 yellow onion & mince the 3 cloves garlic. Add it into the pot, then sauté for 2-3 minutes, when the onion & garlic starts to brown.
2. Then add in the chicken sausage out of the casing. Once meat is added break apart with a spatula into small pieces & until little to now pink.
3. Then slice the halves of the peppers into thin slices & then cut those slices in half as seen below. Then take the large carrot, peel it & cut into thin circle rounds. Add those veggies into the meet mixture. After, sprinkle the oregano, parsley, 2 tsp salt & pepper onto the veggies & meat.
4. Once you have added in the seasoning, mix the veggies and cook down for 2 more minutes. Then add in the cabbage chopped roughly— like seen below & coconut sugar. Followed by the 1/2 cup cooked rice on top.
5. After pour in the chicken broth, diced roasted tomatoes & tomato sauce. Stir the ingredients, until throughly combined. Then bring to a boil, then cover & turn to a vigorous simmer for 25 minutes. Then take lid off & continue on a low simmer, this will allow it to get thicker & flavors meld. For about an hour or at least 30 minutes. Then stir in the 1/4 cup fresh parsley & let it still simmer for a minute or two. Then serve! We served with a fresh foccata bread made from Basically. Oh my goodness. AMAZING. Enjoy guys!
Thank you for looking at this scrumptious recipe!! Remember to follow me @honestfoodie_blog and #honestgrubhonestfoodie to let me know what you are making!