Mediterranean No Boil Pasta Bake
Last year I discovered how you can literally not boil pasta & make have it come out just like you had boiled it VIA big huge pan in the oven with a little chicken broth :) Now, I maybe late to the party.. but as I like to look at it, better late than never! Especially, for you guys! The first pasta bake I did this with we devoured, then I told myself I'd remember how I made it so I wouldn't have to write it down. Well yes.. you guessed it, I totally forgot hahah so I always right it down now RIGHT away!
This is one of those throw all together, walk away & then come back with a meal. I am ALL about that during the week day & cannot wait for you all to try this out. I provide some step by step pictures below too just so that it is easier when talking about the layers. Also to note, the thing about pasta dishes is they absorb so much of the salt or lemon juice. I am not a person who likes A LOT of salt in their dishes, so I put 2-3 tsp depending on what your family prefers. Know you can always add more if need be. So just plan according to your needs :)
12 oz gluten free brown rice pasta
1 8oz container of crumbled feta
1 15oz container of whole milk ricotta
1 8.5oz jar of artichokes
1 4.6oz jar of Kalamata Olives
1 green pepper
2 cups chopped cherry tomatoes
1/2 red onion
4 cloves garlic
4 tbsp olive oil
2 large lemons ( juiced)
2-3 tsp salt
2 tsp dill
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
EBB seasoning (optional)
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 yellow zucchini ( about 1 cup chopped)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1. In a large bowl add in chopped cherry tomatoes, green pepper diced, kalamata olives sliced in half, zucchini cut into cubes, artichokes drained & cut into bite sized pieces & onion cut into thin slices ( I'll cut into thin ringlets & then cut those in half)
2. Then in the bowl sprinkle the dill, 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, pepper & salt , drizzle with olive oil & toss until all is coated.
3. Next in large deep 9 X 13 baking dish, coat base with 2 tbsp olive oil. Then take half of the container of ricotta & layer the bottom of the dish. Then sprinkle on top of the ricotta EBB seasoning & 2 garlic cloves minced
4. Next layer 1/2 of the vegetable mix on top of the ricotta
5. Then layer the uncooked pasta on top of the first layer of vegetables, drizzle a little more olive oil over the pasta, sprinkle the last two cloves of minced garlic over the pasta. After layer the second half of the ricotta, sprinkle with EBB or salt & then the last of the veggies on top.
6. Now pour the chicken broth over it all. You want the noodles to be covered with the chicken broth. Not drowning, the tops should just be covered by the broth. In our pan 2 1/2 cups did just perfect. Then add in 3 tbsp of lemon juice to the top of the bake.
7. Bake covered with almuninum for the first 30 minutes at 400 degrees. Then take out of the oven, stir with a spoon ( noodles will not be near done yet, don't worry). Then bake uncovered for the next 35 minutes. Then take out, give it a good stir, sprinkle feta cheese on top & put back on broil for another 5 minutes to get all nice & brown.
Then serve! With a nice large salad, fresh bread, you name it it-- it will go perfect with it & ENJOY!
When you make this recipe please make sure you tag me @honestfoodie_blog and #honestgrubhonestfoodie I love to share what you create!!