Lemony Feta & Asparagus Linguine
I listen to you guys :) A few weeks back when I asked what you guys were wanting to see on HGHF, you told me more vegetarian meals & pastas. SO low & behold this yummy little number. It is packed with delish vegetables, tangy dairy free sauce & perfect for your dinner rotation this week! Now, I am really big on allowing you guys to adhere to taste towards the end. Why? Pastas are a funny thing, especially ones with the use of lemon.. some people are more lemon lovers. Where some people may want a hint of lemon, others may want it pretty tangy like I do! My family feels like this is the perfect ratio of spices & tang, but feel free to add in more lemon, spices etc. My dad loves to add on more red pepper flakes, however we don't put in as much because of little A. So really make it your own! Don't have asparagus or mushrooms?? Add in some of your other favorite veggies. Really use this as a base & get creative! Especially in times where we don't have everything at our finger tips, use what you got. This lighter & healthier pasta will hit the spot, I promise!
** Also I did not have the time to do progressions when shooting this, so I will be back around in the next month to do so, don't worry. If you have any questions always feel free to message me!
1 package of linguine noodles
1 bushel of asparagus
8 baby Bella mushrooms
3/4 - 1 cup feta crumbles
3 large lemons
1/2 cup of olive oil-- may not need all
2 tbsp white wine
5 cloves garlic
1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped
1/4 cup chopped shallots
3 tsp minced onion
2-3 tsp salt
1 tsp fresh ground pepper
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
dash of turmeric ( optional)
dash of red pepper flakes ( adjust to your liking)
1. Cook package of linguine per directions. Then reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water, drain the rest & rinse with cold water, until ready to add back into deep stove top pan. I use my Calphalon 8qt dutch oven. It is currently unavailable but that should give you guys an idea.
2. In deep stove top pan or dutch oven as above, add in 2 tbsp of olive oil & 2 cloves of garlic minced. Turn on low medium heat. Then chop the woody stems off the bottom of your asparagus bundle & discard them, then toss the asapargus into the pan. Toss around to coat with garlic & olive oil, turn medium up slightly to medium. Sprinkle with 1 tsp of the salt, half of the paprika, 1 tsp of the minced onion, turmeric, dash of red pepper flakes & 1/4 tsp of the onion powder. Continue to mix around for 2 minutes. Then pour in the white wine & cover with lid for 3 minutes.
3. Then take lid off & sprinkle with a little bit of pepper, toss & cook for 1 more minute. Then transfer asparagus to plate, you want them to still have a crunch to them.
4. Next, zest all 3 of your large lemons. Always ZEST before you juice the lemons. Then cut in half & juice all 3 of your lemons. Then clean off mushrooms & slice thinly. Add in the chopped shallots & 2 more minced garlic cloves & 3 tbsp of olive oil to the pan. Turn on medium heat & cook for 1-2 minutes. Then add in the mushrooms, cook down for 2 more minutes, then turn down on low, add in 2 tbsp of your lemon zest & 1 tsp of the minced onion. Mix around in the shallot mixture so the lemon zest starts to simmer along with it, creates the best aroma!
5. Now pour in 1/4 cup of your lemon juice into the pan, & reserved pasta water, then let cook down with the rest of the mixture & mix with your cooking spoon. Then add in 3/4 of the cooked linguine. ( You may choose to add in all of it, we just like a more 50/50 vegetable to pasta ratio). Next add in the asparagus mix well, take tongs & start to incorporate it all together in the pan. Once you have fully incorporated. Add in the fresh parsley & feta cheese, take the tongs & do it again. It is very hard with linguine hahah, so take your time! Then adjust to taste: We had in 1-2 more tsp of salt, last of the minced onion, 1 more garlic clove minced, rest of the paprika, onion powder, pepper & rest of the lemon zest, plus a little bit more of the lemon juice. You will just need to adjust to taste. Then let cook for another 2-5 minutes after it is perfected to your liking!
Then serve with big salad, fresh baked bread ( a lot of you are doing right now!) or any side of your choice! Enjoy guys!
Thank you for looking at this scrumptious recipe!! Remember to follow me @honestfoodie_blog and #honestgrubhonestfoodie to let me know what you are making!