Lemon Pistachio Gremolata Pasta
Okay, so before you maybe shy away from making this because it sounds too hard because of the name... COME BACK! :) No joke. COME BACK. This is not hard and it is SO good. We have officially become obsessed.
I learned so much during this pasta dish & I have been dying to share it with you guys. One of main things I love about HGHF is YOU. You guys are the soul that drives this journey & I am so thankful you guys are riding along with me! A few weeks ago I asked you guys to check in with me. What are you wanting to see, try, etc. One of you guys asked me to make a copy cat pasta from a place locally in STL called Katie's Pizza. It was their Lemon Strozzapretti pasta. So.... did I have a recipe for it? NOPE. Do I have a recipe for it now.... OH HECK YES!
So I did some digging found a picture of what it looked like & then looked on the menu to see the ingredients. Here is what the menu tells me :
LEMON STROZZAPRETTI NOODLE + CHARRED CAULIFLOWER + LEMON BUTTER + CREAM + PECORINO
So I went off of that & boy oh boy. You are going to be loving it. Also I messed around with pistachio Gremolata. I had NO idea how to make it, but thought when I had it awhile back it had something similar, so I messed around with a recipe for a pistachio Gremolata & you know what? I would eat that plain... ALL... THE..TIME. I am going to make it this week with some more olive oil to make it a dip with a baguette. I also put it on eggs hahah so needless to say it sounds fancy, but is so easy too! It will for sure give your family a wow flavor factor. So let's get started shall we??
So what is Gremolata?
It is a green sauce made of chopped parsley, lemon zest & garlic. THAT SIMPLE.... what?? I know. It sounds all fancy, but let me tell you, you will be making this is a flash. The Gremolata in this pasta needs:
Chili Powder & Salt
First we will make the Pistachio Gremolata:
+2/3 cup toasted pistachios out of the shell
+1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
+1/4 cup lemon juice ( about 2 lemons)
+2 small garlic cloves minced
+1/4 tsp chili powder
+1/4 tsp salt
1. In a food processor add the pistachios & pulse until it becomes a fine mixture but still good small bite sized pieces like below
2. Then add in the chopped parsley, lemon juice, minced garlic, salt & chili powder. Mix until throughly combine & then place in refrigerator until the rest of the pasta dish is ready.
Now we will work on the rest of the delicious pasta:
Lemon Pistachio Gremolata Pasta
makes 4-5 servings
* will need 5 lemons for the whole recipe
2 for the Gremolata, 2 for the sauce & 1 for the cauliflower
For the Cauliflower
1 head of cauliflower
1/4 olive oil
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp pepper
For the lemon butter sauce & pasta
6 cups cooked pasta of choice
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup lemon juice ( about 2 lemons & zest of 1 lemon)
1/5 cup half & half
1 tsp oregano
2 cloves garlic minced
1/2 tsp basi
1/4 tsp chili powder & pepper
1 tsp arrow root ( 2 tsp warm water)
4 oz Pecorino
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
1. After you made the pistachio Gremolata from above you will start working on the charred cauliflower! In a large bowl add in the cauliflower florets from the head of the cauliflower. Take the cauliflower floret & cut them in half to where they lay flat on the baking sheet as best as possible.
2. Then toss the florets in a large mixing bowl with juice from the 1 lemon, olive oil, salt, paprika, garlic powder, chili powder & pepper. Then roast for 18-22 minutes. While they are roasting you will make the pasta & the sauce. Then throw together. Should come together in those 22 minutes the cauliflower is roasting.
3. In large stock pot cook pasta noodles according to package. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water & then, rinse & drain then noodles.
4. In a 5-7 qt sauce pan or dutch oven add 2 cloves minced garlic & 1/2 cup butter. Turn on medium low. When it starts to bubble, turn down to a very low simmer. Let it simmer for 2 minutes. Then pour in the reserved pasta water, lemon juice, half & half & chicken broth. Whisk together, vigorously. Continue whisking until the half & half is incorporated. It may try to start to separate but keep whisking & when we start to simmer it will come together.
5. Reduce to a medium low & simmer for 5 minutes. Then stir in oregano, basil, chili powder, pepper & lemon zest. Then in a small bowl add in 2 tsp arrow root & 4 tsp warm water, whisk until it becomes a slurry. Then slowly add in the arrow root slurry, until it starts to thicken to your liking.Slowing figure 8 the slurry in. When using arrow root you do not want it to then boil, because it will break apart the thickening components.
6. Pour in the drained pasta. Stirring in the pasta into the lemon butter sauce. Let it simmer on low for another 5 minutes. Continuing to stir.
7. When ready to portion out on plate. Put the pasta on the plate, sprinkle with a good portion of pistachio Gremolata, the charred cauliflower & shaved pecorino cheese on top!
Thank you for looking at this scrumptious recipe!! Remember to follow me @honestfoodie_blog and #honestgrubhonestfoodie to let me know what you are making!