How to Make a Perfect Salad Nicoise
This is one of the 10 recipes that stick out to me the most when I think of my childhood. Crazy that a Salad Nicoise is one of them huh? [hahah ] Well my mom was a French major & we had a French exchange student growing up... so I think possibly it stemmed from there :) I use to like it a lot growing up, however, not as much as I do now, because now I SEE how beneficial it is. Now that I am older I appreciate it on a whole new level because, this sort of salad dish is customizable for the whole family & is overall one of the best well rounded dishes in my opinion. It is what summer is all about, with all the fresh produce, drizzled with the best homemade red wine vinaigrette-- both hands up for this one! The best part, after I eat this my body always feels good. It is crazy if you really pay attention. Heaviness you feel with certain meals or food, bloated etc. Whenever, I eat this, I always feel full & fueled!
So what is realllllyyyy is a salad nicoise?
WELL we can thank the people of NICE for this recipe :) Nope not calling you nice, which I think you all are hahah, but the French city of Nice. Traditionally it is made with tomatoes, hard boiled eggs, olives, anchovies or olives, drizzled with olive oil! So this HGHF nicoise salad gets a little bit of an upgrade!
Ingredients you will need
Now again, one of the best things about this salad is it is tailored to your favorites. Mix & match what you know your family loves to make this the best fresh salad for them this summer! In ours you will need the following:
+Romaine Lettuce or we love Gotham Green's -- Greenhouse Crunch. You want a lettuce with good crisp to it!
+Hard Boiled Eggs
1 head of cauliflower
8 new potatoes boiled ( about 15 minutes for new & red potatoes)
8 hard boiled eggs
12 oz fresh green beans
4 oz cherry tomatoes
1 can of black olives
2 cans of albacore tuna no salt added
2 cucumbers sliced into sticks
10 oz lettuce like Romaine & Green House crunch like mentioned above ( just want to make sure it is nice & crunch lettuce!)
2 ripe avocados
Everything But the Bagel Seasoning
Homemade Red Wine Vinaigrette Dressing:
2/3 red wine vinegar
1 1/3 cup light olive oil
1 large garlic clove or 2 small ones minced
3 tsp (or more to taste) Dijon mustard
Salt & pepper to taste
*** Shake all ingredients together and refrigerate
PRO TIP: I usually like doing these steps simultaneously. Like while my potatoes are boiling, I also have my insta pot boiling my eggs & my air fryer cooking my cauliflower. While all that is going I will get the rest of the veggies ready!
1. Wash the tomatoes & set aside. Clean off the cucumbers & slice into sticks, then set aside. Open the cans of tuna, drain & then place the tuna onto a paper towel to let it drain a little bit more until ready to assemble the salads. Dice up the avocado last so it doesn't have time to brown.
2. For the potatoes: In a large pot of boiling water, you will cook potatoes until tender but not falling apart, 10 to 15 miuntes. Timing with depend on size of potato-- take a fork & if you can spear through the potato easily, they are done! Then drain in collander & rinse with cold water. Then set the potatoes aside in a bowl.
3. For hard boiled eggs: my favorite method is in an insta pot. I find that you can cook them perfectly in there & really gage how well done you want them cooked! In the insta pot I place my egg insert, pour 1 cup water in. Then place lid secure to lock, make sure the steam release handle is locked & then put on high pressure for 4 minutes. Then naturally release for 4 minutes. 3 minutes for a bit more runny. In the picture in 4 minutes. Then after they have naturally released, quick release the steam release handle & place the eggs into a bowl of ice cold water.
4. For green beans: Steam the green beans for 5 minutes after the water has started to boil & then toss with butter if you'd like. I like to sprinkle mine with EBB or both :)
5. For cauliflower: Break apart into florets. Then toss in olive oil a little bit of paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper & juice of one lemon. Air fry on fry setting for 15 minutes ( 400 degrees) Continuing to take the basket out to toss about 5 times. on the 3rd time sprinkle a little more seasoning on top & a little bit more lemon juice.
After all your parts of you salad are good to go, you can start assembling as see on the plate, then drizzle with the red wine vinaigrette! ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY! And you didn't even have to travel to Nice... even though it would NICE right about now hahah.