Healthy No Bake Chocolate Pretzel Bites
Alright guys, I think by now you all know my love for no bake snacks. I truly feel like I just want to start a whole no bake store! [ hahah maybe one day!] For now though, I just truly love sharing them with you guys & you guys knock them out of the park every time.
These babies I have seen for years. There are different variations that I see pop up every once & awhile. A combination of chocolate, peanut butter etc.
However, it always comes down to the ingredients for me....
So many of the recipes I see for these have LOTS of sugar in the filling. There is peanut butter then butter, powdered sugar, brown sugar etc. Now I get that we need a powdered type substance to create that filling consistency... however in my opinion that is just so much extra sugar we don't need. Those are great for a treat every once and awhile, but I wanted to create something that goes along with HGHF motto, of figuring out a way to revamp these in a healthier way that could be great for kiddos lunches, work lunches, sweet healthier treat & snack!
Also a lot of pretzels have enriched flour in them which is another ingredient that doesn't do our body justice, so I always look for the pretzels with just whole grain flour. They are out there no worries, but always good to check!
I also use unsalted pretzels, because I like to sprinkle a little bit of sea salt on the top of them when done and that cuts out on extra sodium as well. That is also something helpful when making these.
Alright, let's get to it!
The Simple Ingredients:
Organic Wheat Flour Pretzels (no salt)
Favorite Chocolate Protein Powder ( I am using Orgain)
100% Pure Organic Maple Syrup
Chocolate ( we use Enjoy Life mega chunks)
+ 40 unsalted Whole Wheat Pretzel Minis
+ 1/2 cup Creamy Peanut Butter (make sure no added sugar)
+ 1 tbsp Chocolate Protein Powder (we use Orgain)
+ 1 tbsp maple syrup
+ 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
+ 1 cup chocolate chips (we use Enjoy Life Chocolate Mega Chunks)
** sea salt flakes for sprinkling at the end
1. In a small bowl, add peanut butter, chocolate protein powder, vanilla extract, maple syrup. Take a spatula & mix until well combined. You will start to feel it thicken. Place in refrigerator for 10 minutes to set.
2. While the stuffing is setting, line baking sheet with parchment paper and then start matching your pretzel pairs. I like to stack each set
(the top pretzel mini & bottom pretzel mini that will make the "bite", so you can quickly assemble!)
3. Then take your filling out of the refrigerator. With a 1/2 tsp, start to portion out the filling. use 1/2 tsp of the filling for each bite. Scoop out the filling, roll it a bit in you hand. Press into the center of one of the minis, then press the other on top, creating the bite as seen above. Repeat until all are done!
4. Then heat your chocolate in microwave in 30 second increments. Depending on the chocolate, I like to add a little bit of coconut oil before microwaving chocolate to make sure it doesn't burn. Keep doing 30 second increments and stirring in between until all melted.
5. Then dip each half of the pretzel bites, sprinkle with salt on the chocolate, then let them set in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes-- then ENJOY!
Store in an air tight container for up to 10 days in refrigerator or 1 month in the freezer ( they really won't last that long though!)