Updated: Dec 16, 2019
Say hello to your next easy & delicious dinner! I love eggplant & I love it even more rolled up like lasagna, around Italian sausage ricotta stuffing. I mean... get ready to dive right in! I whipped this up the night before Thanksgiving so we could have a nice healthy dinner, before we indulged in all the Thanksgiving yumminess. Then it made for great leftovers for lunch & another dinner depending on how many people! Enjoy!
3 small & tall egg plants peeled and sliced about 1/4 of an inch thick, should make about 20 slices. You want them tall, to make for tall thin slices to roll
15 oz whole milk ricotta
10 oz fresh baby spinach
1 lb Italian chicken sausage
1 tbsp fresh thyme
1 tsp EBB seasoning
1 jar of Cream of Vodka Pasta Sauce
1/2 shallot (about 1/4 cup chopped)
3 garlic cloves minced
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp paprika (plus a little extra to sprinkle on top of the eggplant)
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning (plus a little extra to sprinkle on top of the eggplant)
salt & pepper to taste
Shredded Mozzarella & Asiago cheese
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
1. Slice your eggplants about 1/4 of an inch thick, it should make about 20-25 slices. Then spread them out on cutting board & plates if it isn't big enough. Then sprinkle with sea salt on each piece. This brings out the moisture & bitterness. Let it sit with the salt on it for 30 minutes to draw it out. While you are waiting on the eggplant you can start on the meat & ricotta mixture.
2. In a medium skillet, add olive oil & heat on medium heat. Add in chopped shallot and garlic cloves minced, let it simmer until it starts to get a little brown. Then add in the Italian chicken sausage and cook it down until there is no pink and broken into small bite sized pieces.
3. While the meat is cooking, pour the ricotta into a large mixing bowl & add in the EBB seasoning & fresh thyme. Then chop up the baby spinach, & place on top of the meat mixture on the stop & mix into the meat mixture, until the spinach is wilted in with the meat mixture. Then add on top of the ricotta mixture & mix throughly
4. Take a wet paper towel & wipe off the tops of the eggplant that had the salt on them. Then press down on the tops of them all with a towel to get out any extra moisture. Then sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika & Italian seasoning on the top. Then on a baking sheet, like a Silpat or spray a baking sheet, place the eggplant. Then spray the slices & bake the slices of the eggplants at 375 degrees for 10 minutes, until start to get soft & roasted. Take them out & then start to evenly divide the ricotta meat mixture on each slice of egg plant.
5. Then spray a 5qt non stick pan with olive oil, then pour 1/2 of the jar of pasta sauce at the bottom of the pan. Then as your roll each eggplant place in the pan on top of the sauce.
6. Then sprinkle the 1/2 tsp of paprika & Italian seasoning on top of all the eggplant rolls as seen above. Then pour the rest of the pasta sauce on top evenly. Lastly, sprinkle Mozzarella cheese & shredded asiago cheese on top. Place in the the oven for 25-30 minutes, until the cheese is bubbling & starting to crisp up! Then dig in and ENJOY!
When you make this recipe please make sure you tag me @honestfoodie_blog and #honestgrubhonestfoodie I love to share what you create!!