Deconstructed California Roll Bowl
I love sushi & by sushi I mean California roll, shrimp tempura... and the occasional salmon or tuna :) I have not been one to REALLY have raw raw fish in my sushi... but I consume a lot of what I mentioned above. I once tried to make my own sushi in college & it turned it OKAY, but seemed a lot harder than I wanted it to be hahah. So this is my sushi hack & tastes EXACTLY like a California roll with LESS than half the work. After making this my sister & I were in heaven. Also we were bummed we hadn't discovered this sooner!! Enjoy this easy cure for a sushi craving, in fraction of the time, but not fraction of the taste.
- Makes five bowls (cut ingredients down for individual bowls, however it lasts great the next day. I just re heat the rice a bit with the tiniest bit of water to bring moisture back into it)
- 3 cups of uncooked rice-- cooked (follow cooking instructions on the bag) I cooked the rice in the insta pot, and it is THE BEST. I will post below how. However, either way I do not use water to cook it, instead the amount of water it says to use I use chicken broth.
- 2 avocados diced
- 1 cucumber diced
- Sesame seeds
- 12 oz package of the Alaska Pollock Surimi Seafood. I linked the web address so you can see exactly what it looks like. I looked into a lot of different faux crab meats and it had a lot of additives and "caramel coloring". This one was the best one I could find to do the job, for the majoirty follow the guidelines I look for and it tastes PERFECT. http://trans-ocean.com/our-products/simply-surimi/
- Seaweed strips (( This REALLY makes it, it ties in the whole taste of the sushi rolls, without having to wrap it in seaweed yourself--- we found ours at our local Global Foods Market))
You can just drizzle low sodium soy sauce on top of the bowl OR coconut aminos for it to be gluten free :)
HOWEVER... if I am feeling fancy. I will add 1 cup of soy sauce, 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil, dash of cayenne pepper, 2 garlic cloves minced and whisked together. Then pour on top! Easy as pie! Either choices are perfect!
1. Put cooked rice in the bottom of the bowl, then add the rest of the ingredients on top like you see above, sprinkle with sesame seeds, sprinkle seaweed strips & then sauce on top! SUPER SIMPLE & YUM!
Directions on how to cook white long or short rice in Insta pot:
- Place 1 cup of rice in the pot, to 1 cup liquid. So I did 3 cups rice & 3 cups chicken broth for above & 1 tbsp unsalted butter & 1 tsp salt. Then put lid on secure, move steam release valve to sealing. Then put on high pressure for 4 minutes, once the scream reads LO 00. Let it naturally release for 10 minutes. Then move steam release valve to venting and once the float valve drops open the lid and fluff with fork.
Thank you for looking at this scrumptious recipe!! Remember to follow me @honestfoodie_blog and #honestgrubhonestfoodie to let me know what you are making!