Classic French Toast
I use to feel guilty if I decided to have pancakes or French toast for breakfast. This was my time period before Ainsley where I was overly obsessive with what I ate. However, once I started looking into real ingredients, real food, I realized that if I took care of what was IN it, it can taste JUST as good... but without the guilt! It is so easy to throw together and Ainsley gobbles it up as well :) If you do not like almond, leave that out and just add a little more vanilla extract.
This recipe is showing for three pieces of toast, so depending on how many you are making just multiply the ingredients by how many you are making :)
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-1/2 tsp almond extract
-dash of salt
- LOTS of cinnamon... at your digression, I sprinkle it all over the egg mixture-- 365 Organic Cinnamon
-1/3 cup of Organic Valley Half & Half
- 3 pieces of multigrain bread
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp coconut sugar
(mix to combine & then use this to sprinkle on top of the pieces of toast in the end or before you flip it on the frying pan)
1. In a medium sized bowl add in the eggs, vanilla, almond, salt & half and half and whisk together until all are mixed well. Egg should be completely mixed in to the mixture
2. Add in the cinnamon all on top of the mixture... again at your digression :) I just LOVE cinnamon and put a nice sprinkled layer on top because then you will whisk that into the mixture and it is the perfect ratio!
3. Heat 1 tsp of coconut oil in a frying pan on medium heat, then once warm, take a piece of the multigrain toast with the fork you whisked the mixture with and drench the bread in the mixture and then once the one side is soaked, flip to the other side and drench that side the transfer to the frying pan. You will know it is time to flip the bread when it is nice and brown on the side. You want to only cook each side on time in order to it to have the best texture, so make sure you peak on the side with your spatula to know when to flip!
4. Repeat with all of your pieces of toast & save any left over mixture in the fridge for up to 3 days if there is any :) Then top with toasted pecans, bananas, cinnamon sugar & 100% pure maple syrup, then have a kick butt morning!!
Thank you for looking at this scrumptious recipe!! Remember to follow me @honestfoodie_blog and #honestgrubhonestfoodie to let me know what you are making!