Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
Updated: Nov 14, 2019
I have been CRAVING buffalo chicken & guys this is IT. When I was at the Bringing Dairy to Life dinner put on by Midwest Dairy, I had tried this amazing gouda blue cheese. People there that weren't fans of blue cheese regularly, tried it and LOVED IT. It has the tangy taste of blue cheese, but was so creamy & not that strong. It was AMAZING. Ever since then I have been wanting to recreate something so similar & combine it with my love for buffalo. That is when I had the idea for the meatballs. So simple & made this during a week night for dinner. I also use a Whole 30 approved hot sauce & make my own dressing to go on top, so consider this a healthier rendition! So ENJOY this, no joke, I think they will be a family favorite PRONTO! :)
if blue cheese isn’t your thing, I really hope you try as is anyways.. so good & not strong!!
if you are unsure.
1: omit the crumbles from the dressing
2: or you can use my homemade ranch dressing on the blog instead!
*** RECENT UPDATE: One of you rockstars used Gluten Free breadcrumbs, in order to make this GF & said it turned out "Drool Worthy" hahah, so for those GF friends out there, we have our solution! She said she used Ian's Food GF
Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing:
-4 oz cream cheese
-4 oz blue cheese crumbles ( you will need 8 oz total in the recipe)
-1/2 cup milk
-2 tbsp mayo
-2 tsp Worcester Sauce
-1/2 tsp garlic powder
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl that is hand mixer safe. Add in cream cheese, 3 oz of the crumbles, milk, mayo, Worcester sauce, garlic powder & start with 1/2 tsp of salt & pepper. Take hand mixer and on medium setting blend until smooth & fully combined about 3 minutes. Then taste to add in any more salt or pepper to taste, then add in the last oz of blue cheese. Then place in a mason jar or any other tight fit jar & refrigerate until meatballs are ready!
- 1 cup Italian Bread Crumbs
- 2 lbs ground chicken thigh
-4 oz Blue Cheese crumbles
-1 cup celery chopped finely in food processor ( about 3 large stalks)
-2 cloves garlic minced
-1/2 tsp onion powder
-1 tsp dill weed
Preheat oven at 400 degrees
1. In food processor , process the celery until they are fine pieces, but not pulp. Then add the cup into a large mixing bowl. Then add in the ground chicken thigh, bread crumbs, egg, garlic cloves minced, onion powder, dill weed and blue cheese crumbles. Next mix until throughly combined with spatula. Once full combined, you will pour the hot sauce on top & then fold that in until combined as well.
2. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or use Silpat (that is what we use-- highly recommend! Cooks them perfectly). Form each meatball about 1 1/2 tbsp, the mixture will form around 30-32 meatballs. Then bake for 18-20 minutes. Check at 18! On our silpat that cooks them perfectly, however, just double check if you aren't using a silpat, that there is no pink in the middle. If so, do it by 1 minute increments and then check. These meatballs are the perfect texture, so you want to make sure they don't over cook :)
3. Toss in more hot sauce if you'd like & then drizzle the dressing on top! Serve on top of lettuce or eat on their own with some celery! Would be perfect for an appetizer as well, if you want to make into smaller meatballs & serve that way, your guests will love you!
That is it! So simple, so easy & I am drooling just thinking about them again!
When you make this recipe please make sure you tag me @honestfoodie_blog and #honestgrubhonestfoodie I love to share what you create!!