Blueberry Maple Glazed Donuts
Updated: Sep 26, 2019
These are addicting and I cannot get enough!
I’m pretty sure there are only two left as I am writing this and chances are come breakfast there will be 0 :) They are whole wheat as well as dairy free and I used Forager Project Half & Half in order to do so... also something I cannot get enough of lately! Check out the recipe below for both donut &
glaze. I did half glazed and half not, so I could add the non glazed to my oatmeal bowls or less messy snack for Ainsley in her snack cups! Delicious both ways!
Ingredients for Blueberry donut batter:
1: 1/4 cup coconut butter melted
2: 1/3 cup coconut sugar
3: 1 Vital Farms egg
4: 3 tbsp lemon zest
5: 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
6: 1/3 cup Forager Project’s Half & Half
7: 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
8: 1 cup whole wheat flour
9: 1 tsp baking powder
10: 1 cup fresh blueberries
11: 1/2 tsp cardamom
Ingredients for Maple Lemon Glaze:
1: 1/2 cup raw cashews soaked for at least 4 hours
2: 2 tbsp coconut oil
3: 4 tbsp coconut butter
4: 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp maple syrup
5: 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
Directions for donut batter:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
Makes 12 donuts
1. Place the Forager Project Half & Half and the ACV and place aside in a bowl, whisk together and let it sit to become "butter milk" while you continue mixing the rest of the ingredients. Grease your two donut tins-- or 1 with 12 donut holes
Here are the ones I use off amazon!
2. Add the dry ingredients: Whole wheat, coconut sugar, cardamom, baking powder and lemon zest ( wait to fold in the blueberries until later) and whisk in a medium sized bowl and set aside
3. Add the wet ingredients: Coconut butter melted, egg, lemon juice and buttermilk, in a different medium sized bowl and whisk together until combined
4. In the dry ingredients bowl add in the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly, then fold in the blueberries
5. Normally in the donut pans I would put the batter in a plastic bag and cut the corners and pipe it out to make it easier. However, with the blueberries, that makes piping super hard. So I just took a small spoon and spooned it out around the donut pan and smoothed it out with the bottom of the spoon-- worked perfect.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until it passes the tooth pick test :) Where it comes out clean!
7. While the donuts bake you can move on to making the glaze! Make sure your donuts are able to cool before taking them out of the donut trays to dip into the glaze, so they do not fall apart.
Directions for Maple Lemon Glaze
1. In a high powered food processor add in the 1/2 cup of raw cashews, then in a microwave safe bowl, melt the coconut oil & coconut butter, then add that into the high powered mixer on top of the cashews. Then add in the 1/4 cup maple syrup and lemon juice. Put the ingredients in the mixer in that order, to insure proper mixing. It will take awhile for the cashews to blend all the way. Make sure you have it on high and be patient, it should be a thick consistency, once it is ALMOST completely blended add in the last of the maple syrup (1 tbsp) and continue mixing until all mixed through
2. Then pour into a wide mouthed bowl, wide enough for dipping your donuts into :) When dipping your cooled donuts, dip the part that was down in the tin, not the side facing out in the oven. Dip it down in the bowl, twist and pull up. Then flip over to the dry side and lay the non glazed side on a cooling rack. ENJOY!!
Thank you for looking at this scrumptious recipe!! Remember to follow me @honestfoodie_blog and #honestgrubhonestfoodie to let me know what you are making!