Berry Crumb Bar
Updated: Jun 7, 2019
Make. These. Now. They are SO scrumptious and perfect for summer time!! These are the cure to an easy breakfast, snack and/or after dinner treat for you and not to mention super easy too. Head over the farmers market and get the fresh raspberries & strawberries & get to baking!!
1 stick of butter
1 1/2 cup of wheat flour
1 cup oats
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 cup coconut sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp pink Himalayan salt
6 oz fresh raspberries
4 large strawberries
1 tbsp water
1/3 cup coconut milk cream ( the cream layer on the top of the can OR You can do 1/3 cup Half & Half depending on your liking or dietary needs
2 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp arrow root powder slurry
1 tbsp coconut oil melted & start with 1 tbsp organic powdered sugar. Continue adding powdered sugar until it is the thickness you'd desire. Then drizzle on top of the cooled bars!
1. Start working on the yummy filling. Add raspberries, strawberries and water into a sauce pan on medium high heat. Heat until the fruit starts breaks apart, then turn down to low, once it stops boiling add in the coconut cream OR half and half . The top part of the coconut milk can-- it separates so the cream is at the top, scoop the top off before hitting the liquid. Whisk in the cream, coconut sugar & maple syrup. Break apart the fruit and continue to incorporate the mixture. Once it has become smooth besides the fruit texture. Add arrowroot to small bowl add room temp water and mix together to create the slurry. Bring mixture to a slight boil and add in the slurry and figure 8 the slurry in. Turn down temperature to low medium & whisk together to reach the thickness desired. Then take off heat and let cool while you do the base layers.
2. In a food processor cut up the stick of butter into pieces & add in the whole wheat flour coconut oil (unmelted), 1 cup coconut sugar & salt. Pulse into small pea sized crumbs. Then add in the oats & cinnamon & continue to pulse until it is mix in, but still pieces of the oats are intact
3. In a 9 X 11 dish, line in with parchment paper & preheat oven to 350. Then press about half the mixture from above for the bottom layer. Add as much needed to fill the whole bottom of the dish.
4. Let filling cool while you make the base layer. Then pour the filling onto the base layer and use a spatula to spread it out evenly. Then pour the remaining layer mixture onto the top of the filling. It crumbles really easily to be able to spread it out perfect on the top, covering the filling. Then take a knife and gently swirl a little bit of the top crumb layer into the raspberry filling. Then place the berry crumb bars into the oven for 40 minutes! At about 25 you may need to add a sheet of aluminum foil on top, because the yummy crumbs start to brown. Just keep an eye out to not burn!
5. Let them come to a complete cool before cutting in and serving! I know it is hard to wait.. but try to for the best result! Then add the frosting that is mentioned above under ingredients! ENJOY!! Jealous you are about to make them right now :)
Thank you for looking at this scrumptious recipe!! Remember to follow me @honestfoodie_blog and #honestgrubhonestfoodie to let me know what you are making!