Baja Chicken Egg Rolls
Updated: Aug 26, 2019
YES PLEASE! I cannot say enough good things about these. They are simple, easy to make, easy to freezer for later & easy to consume all at once! These are perfect for lunch, dinner or appetizer for a get together. Any way you are eating it, I promise you, you will be coming back for more!
3 chicken breasts
1 can of black beans
2 large garlic cloves
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
12 oz bag of Monterey Cheddar Jack shredded cheese
1 pack of Nasoya Egg Roll Wraps
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp onion
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprkia
1/2 tsp Pink Himalayan salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1. In a small bowl whisk together turmeric, onion, garlic powder, paprika, salt & cayenne pepper, then set aside. Cut the 3 chicken breasts into strips & then cut those strips in half & place them in a big mixing bowl. Now take half of the seasoning & sprinkle over the cut up chicken. Toss the chicken & then pour the rest of the mixture on the chicken & toss throughly once more.
2. Next in a large frying pan heat up the 2 tbsp of olive oil & the 2 cloves of garlic minced. After the garlic sautés for about 2 minutes add the chicken & cook on each side about 3-4 minutes. Then start breaking apart the chicken pieces more with your spatula. Cook until there is no pink left. Then feel free to season to taste with more turmeric, onion, garlic, paprika, salt or cayenne :)
3. Once the chicken is cooked all the way through & seasoned to taste. Open the can of black beans & rise while in the can a little bit, pouring a lot of the liquid out but still reserving some of it. Pour the whole can over the chicken & mix-- let it simmer for a few minutes, letting the flavors meld. Then put the frying pan onto a burner not on & get ready to layer up the wrappers!
4. Get a small bowl of water ready for the wrappers. In the middle of the wrapper first put a layer of cheese, then 1 1/2 tbsp of chicken bean mixture on top, then about 1 tsp of chopped cilantro next & then a little more cheese on top. Fold in the parallel corners to meet in the middle, then the corner closer to you-- fold the side over the corners in the middle & roll away from you to enclose the egg roll wrapper. Then dips your fingers in the water & work the egg roll wrapper shut. Repeat for all 18!
5. I have not done them in the oven before-- but I am sure you can just follow the instructions on the egg roll wrapper bag. I have only cooked them in the air fryer, so I will give you the instructions below:
Place egg rolls on the air fryer tray, then spray lightly with olive oil on the side facing up. Then at 380 degrees cook the first batch 6 minutes on the first side, then pull them out, flip them, spray again & put them in for 4-5 minutes on that side. Next batch of egg rolls, do the same thing just about 4-5 minutes each side-- keep an eye they cook faster the more batches you do! Just pull them out & check then put them back in if you want them crispier!
THEY ARE SO GOOD... seriously. Make them now!
Thank you for looking at this scrumptious recipe!! Remember to follow me @honestfoodie_blog and #honestgrubhonestfoodie to let me know what you are making!