Bacon&Wine Sautéed Mushroom Stuffed Fish
This is such a quick and easy, yet elegant dish for an easy dinner throughout the week. Then I turn the leftovers into fish cakes for lunches. This recipe paired with the asparagus goat cheese risotto is an absolute perfect pairing!
The fish pictured below is piccata fish, but it had HUGE bones, I remember cooking with it before and it had large bones, but it had a good thick texture kind of like steak, so I wanted to give it a go again. However, even when they deboned it... it was still more of an inconvenience! Especially for little A that scares me.
So this recipe can be used with your favorite kins of fish filet, like cod, sole, tilapia etc.When getting the fish from the counter, they will always debone fish for you, but for this recipe also try and get the thicker pieces so they stand well with the stuffing on top!
Ingredients for Stuffed Fish:
2 lbs filet fish
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
couple grinds of fresh pepper
1 cup whole wheat bread crumbs or gluten free
1 cup shredded cheese of your choice-- I like to use Monterrey Jack
6 baby Bella mushrooms sliced
1 tbsp butter
1/4 cup cabernet
5 pieces of bacon-- we use Wellshire's Peppered Turkey bacon
Chosen foods avocado oil spray or 2 tbsp olive oil
Ingredients for Lemon Asparagus Goat Cheese Rissoto
-1 bunch of fresh asparagus
- 4 oz 365 goat cheese (or another brand that uses microbial enzymes)
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 12oz bag of frozen riced cauliflower (makes your life so much easier!)
-3 tbsp chicken broth
((you will use the left over seasoning & stuffing from above for the risotto-- all about convenience!))
Pre heat oven to 400 degrees
1. Lay filets out on greased baking sheet or Sit Pat which I use always :) , mix the paprika, onion, garlic, salt, pepper & cayenne seasonings into a glass bowl and set aside. Slice up the baby Bella mushrooms and put those aside. Chop up the asparagus into 2 inch pieces and set aside. In a large frying pan spray with Chosen Food avocado oil or add 1 tbsp olive oil and lay the 5 pieces of bacon down in the pan at medium to high heat. Once it is hot and starts crackling, cook on each side for about 3-4 minutes until brown and about to get crispy. Transfer to a plate with a paper towel for any excess grease.
2: In the same frying pan spray with Chosen Food avo oil again and still on medium high heat add the sliced baby Bella mushrooms. Toss in the olive oil for a couple minutes and then add in 1 tbsp of butter and let is sauté for 2 more minutes, adding salt, pepper & garlic salt to taste. Next add in the 1/4 cup cabernet and let it simmer until the wine and butter sauté with the mushrooms and they absorb close to all the liquid.
3. In a high power blender, add the bread crumbs, cheese and then break apart the 5 pieces of bacon and put on top of the cheese and bread crumbs, then pour the mushrooms on top of that and any remaining liquid. Pulse the mixture until the mixture is finely pulsed. Next season both sides of the fish with the seasoning mixture you prepared above. Leaving above half the mixture for the risotto. Then place the fish back on the sheet with bottom side down and top side up. Then take a spoon to the mixture in the blender and start packing it together and molding it on to the tops of the fish like you see above. Place in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes. ** NOW depending on the type of fish you decide to do this with, your time may be more than that or less than that depending on thickness. My recommendation is to start checking your fish at 15 minutes. Take for to the sides, if it does not flake a way and is still very glossy inside it is not done***
4. While the fish is cooking put the frying pan that you had cooked the bacon and mushrooms in back on the stove, it should still have a lot of left over olive oil and seasoning leftover and turn on medium heat. Once hot, add in the frozen cauliflower and cook for 2-3 minutes, then add in the left over seasoning from above. Mix throughly, then add in 1 tbsp of chicken stock, stir it in and repeat for the next 2. Then add in the chopped asparagus and let the mixture cook until you can start to pierce the asparagus with a fork. Then add in the leftover stuffing mixture to the risotto, squeeze juice from 1/2 the lemon and stir well. Next break apart 2 oz of the goat cheese into small balls and spread it out over the top of the risotto, let it melt for a minute or two, then stir the melted goat cheese in to the risotto. This gets it all nice and creamy! Season to taste with salt and pepper if needed or any more lemon juice if you please! Save the remaining 2 oz of goat cheese to top when you serve and/or cherry tomatoes like seen above!
5. Once fish is done, plate a piece of the fish with some of the risotto and you are more than good to go :)
Thank you for looking at this scrumptious recipe!! Remember to follow me @honestfoodie_blog and #honestgrubhonestfoodie to let me know what you are making!