Asiago Spinach & Lemon Quiche
On Father's Day we went to one of our favorite restaurants for brunch-- La Bonne Bouchee Patisserie & Cafe. There we had this YUMMY asiago, spinach & lemon quiche. I will say the lemon threw me at first before I tried it. I wasn't sure if lemon was what I would really want in a quiche... then I had it. Then I fell in love with this combo of the 3... so naturally I went grocery shopping the next day & decided I would re create it! Here we are & so glad we are-- trust me & jump into a new favorite taste combo!! Plus an EASY homemade crust-- instead of the yucky additive ones :) Simple and you will be loving every bite.
Ingredients for Crust:
1 1/2 cup Whole Wheat flour
1/4 cup plain goat cheese
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp sour cream
4 tbsp butter
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of garlic powder
pinch of Italian seasoning
1/4 cup water + 3 tbsp
Ingredients for Quiche:
1 cup milk
3/4 cup shredded asiago cheese ( plus more to drizzle on top)
2 cups chopped baby spinach
Juice of 1/2 lemon & zest of that 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 EBB seasoning
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp paprika
dash of cayenne
Directions for Crust:
Pre heat oven to 350 degrees & grease standard pie pan
1. In kitchen mixer -- I use my Kitchen Aid, add flour, salt, & throw in the cold butter, cut into pieces. Next using the flat beater, on high mix until the mixture is into little pieces. Then add in the garlic powder, Italian seasoning, goat cheese, sour cream & olive oil. Using the flat beater still on medium high, slowly add in the water. Then switch over the the dough hook and beat on medium high until it starts to form around the dough hook into a ball.
2. Saran the dough & refrigerate for up to an hour OR be lazy// don't have time for that & refrigerate for about 10 minutes & then put into freezer until you are done cleaning up & getting the rest of the quiche ingredients ready
3. Then flour your surface & roller pin & roll flat into as much of a circle as possible-- it is okay if you have to pinch some of the crust off of the standard pie pan. You want it to be about 1/2 finger tip thick. It is enough to be almost perfectly around the pan & pushed down & crimped on the sides like you see above
4. Next take a fork & prick the bottom of the pie crust, to avoid the bubbling up when you pre bake it. Then put into the oven for 15 minutes. Check & 10 if it is rising, take out let it come down & prick a bit more. Then it should stay down the rest of the time. Once out you will pour your quiche filling on top-- SEE BELOW FOR QUICHE :)
Directions for Quiche:
1. Juice 1/2 lemon & zest it & set aside
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk the 5 eggs & milk together until eggs are fully whisked. Then add in the 3/4 cup cheese, chopped spinach, cayenne, paprika, salt, garlic powder, EBB seasoning & lastly the lemon juice & lemon zest.
3. Pour over the quiche crust & bake for 20 minutes. KEEP CHECKING THE QUICHE. Once the crust is brown enough-- you do not want to burn it, place aluminum foil over it to prevent burning. Then cook for 15 minutes more-- 35 minutes total. Then stick a knife in the middle, if it comes out clean it is done.
4. Take aluminum foil off, sprinkle lots of asiago on top & turn oven on broil at 250 degrees to allow it to melt, without burning the crust-- Then take out, let set for about 5-10 minutes & DIG IN!!
Thank you for looking at this scrumptious recipe!! Remember to follow me @honestfoodie_blog and #honestgrubhonestfoodie to let me know what you are making! ENJOY!!