Apple Gorgonzola Pecan Salad with Honey Shallot Dressing
Updated: Dec 16, 2019
I am going to be honest with you all. This weekend has been a difficult one for me. After all the test tasting for cookie week, the lack of working out & the Thanksgiving food, I have felt like crap. Everything was so YUMMY & all the cookies are phenomenal, but week after week, & all the testing tasting Thanksgiving food, I have just about reached my limit. I try to workout on weekends, but as you all know, the more you don't, the more you don't want to. Luckily, with HGHF, the way I eat, has always helped when I can't work out. However, for me I need to find that me time to workout more. So I have started 3 goals for myself during the week. No eating past 9pm, no alcoholic during the week & working out in the morning on the days I "need" to shower. I am just ready to jumpstart back into it! So this salad was the PERFECT recipe to kick me back into gear. My mom went back for seconds & I love every bit of it. To be honest, I use to always turn my nose up on salads with fruit, however this one has ME SOLD.
Also if you have followed along with HGHF, I am ALL about making your own dressings. I mean this one took me less than 5 minutes & I know exactly what is going into it. No preservatives, no yucky ingredients--- all real food, real ingredients, and you guessed it, REAL GOOD.
You are going to LOVE this. Especially that little "pop" of popped quinoa.. you are going to be obsessed!
Honey Shallot Dressing:
1/3 cup White Wine Vinegar
1/3 light olive oil or I use grape seed oil
1/3 regular olive oil
1 small clove garlic minced
2 tsp shallot, cut finely & chopped
1 tbsp stone ground mustard
1 tsp liquid honey
pinch of salt & pepper
((EEK so yum!))
Add all ingredients into a salad dressing mixer container, shake about 15-20 times, until fully incorporated & either use right away or refrigerate for an hour before use. I always like to let it refrigerate so that the flavors meld longer!
Ingredients for Salad:
Makes 4 large salads
16 oz Baby Spinach ( as much for the amount people you want to serve)
1 cup halved pecans (explain directions below)
cinnamon & coconut sugar ( 1 tsp each)
1/2 tbsp coconut oil
1-2 gala apples
white quinoa to layer the bottom of your medium pan (explain directions below)
6oz Gorgonzola cheese crumbles
Pint of blueberries
How to POP your quinoa!
1. Heat up a medium non stick skillet to medium heat. Spray with olive oil & then take a towel & rub in the oil. Let it heat for about 3 minutes, to get it nice and hot at medium. Then layer your white quinoa to cover the whole skillet.
2. Then wait for about 3 minutes, then start to shake the pan & continue to do so for about 8 minutes. Until you hear the popping & smell the toasting of the quinoa. Continue to shake it, so that it doesn't burn. Until you start to hear the popping die off. It should only take about 8 minutes and you can see it start to brown & smell nutty. Try with a spoon some of it, it should be nice, crispy & nutty! PERFECT for on top of salads, yogurt, in chocolate to add that crunch!
3. Transfer to a bowl & let cool until real to use. Store in a sealed container.
Ingredients for the rest of the salad:
1. In the same skillet that you popped the quinoa, add in 1/2 tbsp coconut oil at medium heat. Then add in the pecans & mix the pecans throughout it. Then sprinkle the coconut sugar & cinnamon on top. Then mix around throughly again. Flatten out the layer of pecans so each pecan can reach heat. Then every 1-2 minutes, mix it around again with a spatula. Continue until you can start to smell them getting toasty about 8 minutes. Test taste & then transfer to a bowl, let them sit to cool, to get crunchy!
2. Then you will start layering your salad. Spinach, gala apples cut VERY thin (KEY to how balanced this salad will be), sprinkle blueberries, gorgonzola cheese, toasted pecans & POPPED quinoa. Then drizzle the honey shallot dressing on top and VOILA!
Seriously.... so so so YUMMY. Dive into this!
When you make this recipe please make sure you tag me @honestfoodie_blog and #honestgrubhonestfoodie I love to share what you create!!